May 06, 2005

The Reformation Study Bible

I recently picked up a copy of the “Reformation Study Bible” it’s touted as the modern successor to the Geneva Study Bible of the 1500s (and 1600s.) So far I like it a lot; it uses the ESV (and is to my knowledge the only ESV Study Bible.) It’s definitely something your local Presbyterian would love, or really anyone of a strong Reformed/Calvinist bent.

Not to say it’s overly biased or anything, its not. I really enjoy the introductions to the Books of the Bible; they are very open and fair in discussing a number of different views of author, composition dates, etc --- while mentioning sound scholarly conclusions to those questions. There is even a “problems of interpretation” type section for each book which is really interesting. The “Theological Notes” produced by Dr. R.C. Sproul are wonderful and the study notes are far more interesting then my Zondervan NASB Study Bible.

Over all I’d say if you tried out the ESV and like it, and need a Study Bible --- this would be a great choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home