August 13, 2005

"You know, it’s really none of my business." Then don't tell me ...

What exactly makes people in Hollywood belive they are so smart and why in the the world should I care what they think? I think this tid bit from an interview with Jessica Alba pretty much sums up what I'm saying ...
One of my co-workers wanted me to ask you out on a date for him.
You have to be really, really smart if you’re going to go on a date with me. That’s the only problem.

What does he need to know about you?
I’ve been all over the world. I’ve been working since I was 12. I’m not an idiot. I’m interested in all sorts of different things. I’m pretty educated on what’s going on in the rest of the world.

Are you political?

I definitely have my point of view.

What is that?
I can’t wait for Barack Obama to run for something. Cause I am voting.

Do you think he’ll be president in the future?
I sure hope so. I hope people are open-minded enough to have somebody like Barack.

What do you think of the war in Iraq?
You know, it’s really none of my business. I’m not fighting. I’m not in the Army. I’m not in any of the armed forces. I’m not Donald Rumsfeld. And I’m certainly not in Iraq—an Iraqi person who has to deal with all the bulls—t in my country. I’m not Afghani. I wouldn’t know what that reality is like, to sit in your home and to have soldiers raiding your house because they think your kid is a spy. And explosions happening at your kids’ schools. I don’t know if I could have a real educated opinion about it all. I just think it’s f—ked up, whatever’s happening over there.

Aparently you need to be 'real' smart to get a date with her, since she's 'pretty educated' on whats going on in the world.

She also likes Barack Obama and wishes '... he'd run for something. Cause I am voting.' Well actually Jessica he already did run for something, it's called the US Senate, they meet in that white building with the pointy thing on top in Washington, DC --- but I'm sure you've been there seeing that you've been around.

Yeah, I hope people are 'open-minded' 'nuff to vote for Barack --- cuz you'd have to be pretty close-minded to vote against him huh?

Further aparently the war in Iraq isn't any of your business --- but you sure do actually think is your business don't you? Or at least your opinion on the matter --- matters. That is pretty smart tho Jess ...

"I don’t know if I could have a real educated opinion about it all. I just think it’s f—ked up, whatever’s happening over there."

Yeah wow, profound.

2 Comments:

At September 08, 2005 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude - i am completely NOT defending the idiocy that is so much America, but seriously, everyone has a vote that "counts" and so people can express their opinions... for you to generalize an area, for example, based upon the actions/statements of the higher profiled from Hollywood shows your inability to take each person as they come. And also your ability to make judgement calls from afar.

Blogs are awesome, and I think they're the next wave of political grist; however, I think we need to encourage the use of speech, the ability to express opinions, and if you think someone is stupid, don't shout out to the air about it, email/mail Jessica herself! It's that kind of interaction that will assist the furthering of knowledge rather than the previous mentioned tactic.

Cheers!

 
At September 08, 2005 4:27 PM, Blogger Justin Jenkins said...

> Dude - i am completely NOT
> defending the idiocy that is so
> much America,

Okay so even though I doubt you know “so much” of America --- you believe they are idiots --- noted.

> but seriously, everyone has a vote
> that "counts" and so people can
> express their opinions...

Why, do you think, is it that everyone has a “vote” that “counts” by virtue of simply being alive?

But yes, people can express their opinions. However when one starts off by saying: “You know, it’s really none of my business.” Perhaps that is the first clue to keep one’s opinion to oneself.

> for you to generalize an area,
> for example, based upon the
> actions/statements
> of the higher profiled from
> Hollywood shows your inability
> to take each person as they come.
> And also your ability to make
> judgement calls from afar.

How was I generalizing? I said people in Hollywood --- not everyone in Hollywood --- and I used Alba as a direct example. I’m taking Alba exactly as “she comes” from her quotes. Now --- generalizing and not taking people as they come --- that would be more like saying that “so much” of America is composed of idiots, but I didn’t say that --- did I?

Alba is a public figure, giving a public interview, expressing her opinions and I have every right to express mine.

> Blogs are awesome, and I think
> they're the next wave of political
> grist;

The next wave of “political grist” .. huh?

> however, I think we need to
> encourage the use of speech, the
> ability to express opinions, and
> if you think someone is stupid,
> don't shout out to the air about
> it, email/mail Jessica herself!

Wait, so we should encourage the use of “speech,” and the ability to express opinions --- unless those opinions are criticizing someone else? Speech is only free as long as it doesn’t violate your sensibilities? I must direct any critique to the individual personally and I don’t have the right to state my opinion on my own blog?

Perhaps you should have e-mailed your critique to me instead of posting it publicly “out to the air about it” on my blog.

> It's that kind of interaction that
> will assist the furthering of
> knowledge rather than the previous
> mentioned tactic.

What kind of interaction exactly? Sending a personal e-mail to someone who will ignore it?

Neither that nor my opinion will lead to any furthering of knowledge. Of course, the point of my blog isn’t the “furthering of knowledge” but rather the furthering of my opinions and thoughts. If the furthering of knowledge (or more importantly wisdom) comes about as a result --- so be it.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home