December 08, 2005

The Priests' Polluted Offerings

I ran across a tough passage from Malachi today. It’s actuially not hard to understand --- that’s part of the problem. If I’m honest, I find myself often acting like the Priests in this passage.

“A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If then I am a father, where is my honor? And if I am a master, where is my fear? says the Lord of hosts to you, O priests, who despise my name.

But you say, ‘How have we despised your name?’

By offering polluted food upon my altar.

But you say, ‘How have we polluted you?’

By saying that the Lord's table may be despised. When you offer blind animals in sacrifice, is that not evil? And when you offer those that are lame or sick, is that not evil? Present that to your governor; will he accept you or show you favor? says the Lord of hosts.

Malachi 1:6-8

I often find myself acting as if God doesn’t notice me putting a “little less” effort into Him --- but those that I can see I put forth more. Like Malachi asks, would you put less time, effort, money, discipline, sacrifice into something for your boss, spouse, pastor? Yet to God, who deserves more then all of these --- we figure we can get away with sub par affection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home