December 08, 2005

A Short Narnia Review

I just got back a bit ago from the Narnia movie. I have to say I was pretty impressed, they kept pretty well to the book. There are a few extra scenes, but mostly they help to explain more then “adding” to the story. One less then “PC” scene about a woman’s place in war is toned downed a bit, but not taken out entirely.

The effects were well done, that is all except the beginning blitz sequence --- I was a bit disappointed at that. I thought the little girl playing Lucy did a very good job for her age, and captured the awe of Lucy (as well as her nice but sarcastic nature.) The biblical allusions, particularly the gospel ones were still there, and at times I was honestly a bit moved! Lucy’s love for Edmond really shown through, as well as Aslan’s Christ like (as Lewis intended) nature. The only thing missing was Lewis’ narrator comments --- like pointing out how Edmond is the only one silly enough to close himself inside the wardrobe!

Over all it was quite good, I only wish the sound had been a wee bit louder in the theatre. I do wonder how others will feel about the film.

3 Comments:

At December 09, 2005 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered how they would handle that comment to Lucy about war ... I'm wondering how much of a modern influance the movie will have. I guess I will see tonight.

 
At December 09, 2005 1:47 PM, Blogger Justin Jenkins said...

I added in a link to story about:

"An unpublished letter from the novelist C S Lewis has provided conclusive proof of the Christian message in his Narnia children’s books."

 
At December 09, 2005 1:48 PM, Blogger Justin Jenkins said...

The Lucy comment was tastefully done, as for the modern influences --- well I guess you’d have to see it, but I didn’t pick up on many.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home