January 16, 2006

MLK: Some Mighty Precious Values

Today, I’d like to bring to attention once again one of my favorite sermons by the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. --- which I posted last year.

Here’s a tidbit from the end of it:

My friends, all I'm trying to say is that if we are to go forward today, we've got to go back and rediscover some mighty precious values that we've left behind. That's the only way that we would be able to make of our world a better world, and to make of this world what God wants it to be and the real purpose and meaning of it. The only way we can do it is to go back and rediscover some mighty precious values that we've left behind.

I’m frankly dismayed at many of the comments in the news about King, and how King would have thought about this or that, it’s just plain annoying to hear people talk about King --- when they seem to know little about him. Futher, he’s rarely referred to “Rev” but mostly “Dr.” as if to distance him from the faith which lead him --- and that I would think would sadden Martin a great deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home