January 10, 2006

Some Neat 'Old' Stuff for Christmas

I got a number of “old” things for Christmas this year, I don’t mean hand-me-downs or re-gifts I mean antiquities. Jessica joked that I was ‘such a nerd’ to be so exicted over a ‘bunch of old stuff.’

Along with a number of old Bibles and Christian books (1800s-1930s which I will document here later.) I got a number of coins which are historically relevant to the New Testament. A batch of them is still in the mail apparently (which includes a Pontius Pilate coin) but I thought I’d share a few here.

(Herod) Agrippa I (37-44 A.D.)



This is the Agrippa of Book of Acts who (among many other things) put James to death.

This is the type of coin (however we can’t know the exact type) mentioned in Mark 12:42 (Also see: Luke 21:2)

‘And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny.’

Year Two of the Jewish Revolt (67/68 A.D.)



These coins were minted within Israel during the Jewish uprising in defiance of the Roman rule (all this before the fall of Jerusalem of course.)

Vespasian Denarius (69-79 A.D.)



This is a silver Denarius baring the image of Vespasian, in 66 AD before he was emperor he was the patron of Flavius Josephus, and quelled the Jewish uprising in Judea. He was emperor during the eventual sack of Jerusalem by his son Titus.

A Denarius was generally a day’s wage for a common laborer and is mentioned of course throughout the Gospels but notability in Matthew 22

“Show me the coin for the tax.” And they brought him a denarius. And Jesus said to them, “Whose likeness and inscription is this?”

Constantine I



This has nothing to do with the New Testament, but does have a lot to do with the eventual Christianization of the Roman Empire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home